Renville County, Olivia, Minnesota - 2002 to Present - Assistant County Attorney
- Review and charge Criminal Complaints as submitted by local Law Enforcement
- Draft Search Warrants
- Prepare and conduct Criminal Felony and Misdemeanor Trials in State Court.
- Prepare Civil Commitment Pleadings and Conduct Hearings.
- Draft Juvenile Petitions and Conduct Juvenile Trials.
- Draft CHIPS petitions and Conduct Hearings.
- Law Enforcement Training and Education.
- Conduct DWI and Controlled Substance Forfeiture Proceedings and Hearings.
Mower County, Austin, Minnesota - 1997 To 2001 - Chief Deputy County Attorney
- Reviewed and charged Criminal Complaints as submitted by local Law Enforcement, Drafted Search Warrants, Presented appropriate cases to the Grand Jury, Prepared and conducted Criminal Felony and Misdemeanor Trials in State Court. Prepared and conducted Civil Trials (Commitments, Support and Paternity). 50/50 split between Criminal and Civil Division Duties.
- Provided Assistance and Support for Civil and Juvenile Assistant County Attorney's. Responsible for the daily supervision of the County Attorney's Office. Represented County Attorney's Office at Mower County Management and Department Head Meetings.
- Coordinated County activities with various Federal Agencies including DEA and INS. Direct supervision of Two Assistant Attorneys, Two Legal Secretaries and the Victim/Witness Staff. Coordinated office scheduling prepared and presented performance reviews and administered the department's Career Counseling and Mentoring Programs.
- Developed and Implemented Summer Law Clerk Program. Interviewed and approved Applicants.
- Drafted County Tobacco Licensing Ordinance and revised County Land Use, Zoning and Building Movement Permit Ordinances.
- County Attorney's Office representative to the Mower County Board of Commissioners, Planning Commission and Board of Adjustment. Advised Commissioners, Boards, Elected Officials and County Department Heads (County Auditor, Recorder, Sheriff and Treasurer) on various topics including: The Law and Legal Process, Regulatory Guidelines, Policies and Procedures, Contracts, Planning and Zoning, Personnel and Open Meeting standards.
- Responsible for DWI and Drug Offense Property and Vehicle Forfeiture Proceedings. Provided Training to Law Enforcement and Correctional Services Staff. Disseminated periodic updates regarding changes to Criminal Statutes, Sentencing Guidelines and INS Policies.
- Assisted in the preparation of the County Attorney's Office Annual Budget. Managed the Office's Facilities Vendors (PCs, Software, Copiers/Fax Machines, Furnishings). Reviewed and approved monthly billings and ensured the completeness of the departmental Law Library.
Sole Practitioner - 1991 To 1997 - Municipal Prosecutor / Private Attorney
- Contract Prosecutor for North St. Paul, Maplewood, Lauderdale, Falcon Heights, North Oaks, Richfield, Mendota Heights, Oakdale, Landfall and Lake Elmo. Prosecuted various cases including: Traffic, DWI, Domestic Assault, Theft and miscellaneous Ordinance Violations.
- Private Criminal Defense Attorney. Represented clients in DWI, Assault, Domestic Assault and Felony cases.
- Advised clients in Estate Planning, Real Estate Transactions and Business Organization.
Caswell & Associates, Oakdale, Minnesota - 1988 To 1991 - Municipal Prosecutor
- City Prosecutor and Assistant City Attorney for Oakdale, North St. Paul, Landfall and Lake Elmo. Responsible for all aspects of Criminal Prosecution.
- Drafted Ordinances and Council Resolutions. Concentration in Land Use Enforcement and Condemnations.
City of Coon Rapids, Coon Rapids, Minnesota - 1985 To 1987 - Law Clerk
- Research and Writing on Municipal and Criminal issues as required.
- Reviewed and approved all Petty and Misdemeanor Complaints for filing.
- Conducted Court Trials under the Student Practice Rules
- Assisted with Pre-Trials and Jury Trials
Additional Work Experience
Hennepin County Juvenile Detention Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota - 1982 To 1984 - Child Care Worker, Part-Time
Provided Security, Structure and Safety to Juveniles being held in detention pending court action or disposition.
St. Joseph's Home for Children, Minneapolis, Minnesota - 1981 To 1984 - Child Care Worker
- Unit Staff Worker for both older children (12-17) and younger children (5-11).
- Provided day-to-day structure and instruction in all aspects of daily living.
- Assisted MSW's in the development and implementation of case plans.
Coon Rapids Fire Department, Coon Rapids, Minnesota - 1986 To 1991 - On-Call Fire Fighter
- Responded to Emergency call-out signal for Major Fires and Emergencies.
- Provided Emergency Search & Rescue, Fire Suppression and Overhaul services.
Minnesota State Supreme Court, Board of Continuing Legal Education - 2007 to present
Legislative Proposals Group - MNCASA - 2004 to Present
Animal Law Section, Minn. State Bar Association - 2003 to Present - Chair, Wild Animal Committee
Peace Officer Training Materials Committee, MCAA - 2002 to Present
Mediation Services for Anoka County, Anoka County, Minnesota - 1986 To 1997 - Community and Victim-Offender Mediator
- Personally Listed on State Roster of ADR Neutrals
- Provided community, neighbor, business, landlord-tenant, victim-offender and family mediation services
National Mock Trial Regional and National Championship Tournament Judge - 1988 To Present
- American Mock Trial Association (AMTA)
- Inducted into Judges Hall of Fame, 1994
Education and Credentials
Minnesota Supreme Court Attorney License #186004, issued October 1987
Admitted to the Federal District for Minnesota
Average 20+ Hours annually in Continuing Legal Education credits
Attended National District Attorneys Association training in the Prosecution of Criminal Sexual Assault - Columbia, South Carolina, 1999
NDAA course on Methamphetamine, 2007
Preece Trial School, Bemidji, MN 1998
Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America
Assistant Scoutmaster, Boy Scout Troop 313, Trailblazer District, Northern Star Council
William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota - Juris Doctor - 1987
St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minnesota - Bachelor of Arts, Liberal Arts - 1979
Concentration in Law, Social Psychology and Political Science
Anoka Vo-Tech, Coon Rapids, Minnesota - Firefighter I & II Certificates - 1989
Minnesota State Bar Association
World Chelonian Trust - Trustee, 1998 to Present
Minnesota Herpetological Society - President, 2 terms